Tuesday, May 10, 2011

One

Well; transfer happened. After multitudes of testing and consults the doctors were certain that if we transfer one embryo my body could handle it. Basically I was diagnosed with OHSS but luckily was missing the number one IVF killer which is fluid build up. All the doctors and nurses were so surprised, and us too. I suppose this is all cryptic for those non-IVFers out there; or even me a few years from now. So here is a basic rundown
  • 3 days after retrieval surgery I started to feel very bad
  • My clothes started to not fit; I couldn't zip one pair of jeans and the 'fat' pants I bought specifically for IVF which were just yoga pants a size up didn't fit either!
  • I felt so much pressure between my ribs and pelvis that I thought I was just constipated from the pain killers
  • I stopped taking the pain killers but after the constipation deal ended the pain still continued
  • I was basically in a fetal position and unable to move
  • We called the Emergency number and they told us to get there ASAP, we went (hence previous post)
  • I didn't get much better and was in so much pain; feeling bloated and unable to eat or drink anything
  • The next day we went back to the hospital. I puked all the way there. Seriously - it was nasty. My poor husbands car; luckily I hadn't eaten food in a long time. I know - way too much info
  • When we got the to the hospital they sent me for labs and told me to try to eat and drink 
  • After almost six hours of waiting and testing the doctors determined that I have Ovarian Hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) and that my ovaries are in fact the size of grapefruits
  • The doctors determined that my body reacted to the HCG shot but because I didn't have the fluid build up I could still do the transfer
  • They cautioned us to only use on embryo because if we transferred two and they both implanted I could get really sick and we would loose both; it didn't take much convincing for us to use only one
So here I am on day two of bed rest out of three; I am sick, really sick. Nausea and pressure are keeping me from doing much. Thank GOD my mother is here. She is doing all the laundry, she cleaned the bathroom, and had even made dinner every night since she's been here. Well, my time limit is up; sitting upright isn't much of an option for very long. Thanks to all for all the prayers :) They WORKED.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am so so so sorry for all the pain you are going through right now. I will pray for you that it is ALL worth it in the end!!!!!

Becca said...

So glad mom was able to be there. Praying hard and so sorry you have to go through all this pain. Is this a common complication? I am worried about you, but I know you are in good hands. Keep the faith, and do what the doctors tell you! Love you my friend!

Jamie said...

Ohhh man!!! Sounds so painful! I'm glad you have family there to help you- what a huge blessing that is! Love and praying for you!!! Praying for this little one!!!

Kim said...

So sorry to hear that you are in that much discomfort. Will def pray for you. Rest and take care of yourself and that little life inside you.

Jessica said...

Praying for you! Hoping you feel better soon and can focus on the joys of pregnancy!