Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Can't Not

One of my oldest and dearest friends has a young daughter who is pregnant. My friend K, wants her to put the baby up for adoption and it is a long shot. The daughter wants to keep the baby. Her mom keeps saying, she has no man, no job, no future, and no plans of a future for this child. I've been asked to contact the daughter and encourage her to choose adoption. My heart of hearts tells me this teenager is going to keep the baby but I can't not try. We have an adoption package that just needs a little updating, and a personal letter to this teen would be easily heartfelt and loving, but the idea of a maybe sure is raw with the potential of being so painful. So staying emotionally detached is going to take some effort. 

My intuition says, don't get involved, but I can't not jump in with both feet. If this birth mother chooses adoption she needs to know that people love her and that her child can love her forever too. We are the couple that can ensure that. Adoption isn't a road we were going to travel again, but we know the path to get there, and aren't afraid. Even if this young lady chooses adoption for some other deserving couple or chooses to keep her baby I still want her to know that she is loved and we will always hold a special place for her in our hearts.

1 comment:

Chickenpig said...

That's a tough row to hoe. I hope that you are able to walk the line between hopeful, supportive, and unattached gracefully. Best wishes.