Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Good, The Bad, & The BORING!

Holy Mother of GOD have the past two days been dull. It is no surprise that people are not warm and fuzzy here, they are stiff, polite, but oddly distant, but man I did not know how dull a day in an office can be when no one seems to put any effort into the niceties. Politeness is good but seriously boring. The scoop:

I worked the last two days in a different hospital than the one I will be working in full time for training purposes. It seems that a few of these girls get "stuck" training other employees all the time. Great, so I am loved from the start. Anyway, all of them, even the supervisors are constantly on their cell phones. So when there is down time, and there certainly is a LOT of down time in that office, you cannot get to know one another or get the dirt on anyone else. Not that I want to be a gossip, but geez anything would have been better than watching other people play on their iPhones. Like watching paint dry.

Today around 11:00 I just couldn't take it anymore and volunteered to work in the call center. Obviously I am an idiot. Obviously. I figured I'd be making a bunch of appointments and transferring a few calls to a nurse. Right, that was so little of the job that I hardly learned anything I needed too. I just kept getting complete lunatics on the phone. One woman was swearing up one side and another that she'd been seen there before and needed a follow up. After five minutes I still couldn't find her in the system and desperately asked if she was positive she'd been seen at the fertility clinic. Her answer "Oh, no, this isn't Montgomery General?" Seriously? I answered the phone with our hospital name and the word FERTILITY is in it! 

Then the last call of the day; a woman wanted to know the nursing supervisors name. I ask her to hold, get the info and let her know but then she wants to know my supervisor and the supervisors supervisor and who runs the donor team and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. At first it seemed like a totally normal call but then she kept saying "We are having a communication problem are you there?" And then she would repeat the same questions. Eventually I just had to ask another girl to take the call. I just didn't have enough knowledge about the whole hierarchy to help her. Actually it ended up being the best part of the day. At least that call was entertaining. It ended up going to our highest supervisor and from the sounds of it even she was having trouble helping.

One more day of training in that office and then I head to my official spot in Virginia. Thank the LORD! Honestly I am thankful that I have a job and I do like the parts I have learned so far - it has potential. Plus I am sure I will get a lot of entertainment out of it in the months to come. One funny note: I have never said the words, sperm, ejaculation, and masturbation so much in one day (let alone a year!) in my life. By the end of the day I could almost say them with out cracking up.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I like the sound of your job! So happy for you. Wish I could find one like that. But you are right, nothing is worse than when you are with a bunch of people you don't know and they are totally ignoring you and for the i-phone non the less. I admit I am an i-phone addict but I draw the line when I am at work or social functions or you know, living! How is C faring with all the change???