Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Name of the Street is Funny

Today is better, C was really good while we ran around town today, and I seem to have found some focus. Elborations might bore the average reader, but what else are blogs for?

So, Cooper needs a new bike. He out grew his over the winter and it is really in disrepair, so even if we hike up the handle bars and the seat, the tires will go flat and the training wheels are premently rusted on. So, me being either practicle or stubborn - you can decided, decides that we are going to look for a bike under 45.00. Yesterday we went to six different places. Three thrift stores, the BX on Andrews, Wal-mart, & Target. Only the BX has bikes his size (16") but they were 74.99! That is nuts! I promised C I would teach him how to ride with out training wheels and I am not having him learn on at seventy-five dollar hunk of metal - the seat will tear the first time he falls, the handle bar covers will get scapped - Just nuts. So yesterday was kind of a bust. Although we really weren't out all that long, and got some other stuff done too.

So this morning there was this huge consignment sale at a local church. Everyone talks about this place as "the best place to go" for used kid stuff. So this morning C and I treked out to Alexandria, VA. What a nightmare. There had to be 400 people in a church gym litterally plowing through clothes and toys. If they didn't want them they would just throw them. I checked out the section of size 5/6 but there was nothing. Litterally it was an empty table, which was wierd becuase there was sooooo much stuff. Anyway, we left, but not before we got a look at the line - it had to be 100 people deep. Some people were going threw their bags and if they didn't like something they were just thrwing it on the floor. It was crazy. And to C's dissapointment they only had one girl's bike.

After that we went home and relaxed for awhile. I told C if we didn't find a bike today he could pick one off the internet tonight and he was actaully okay with that. He had me spell bike for him on a piece of paper and went upstairs to Google it. But I did have one more trick up my sleeve, actaully 2 - one giant thrift store that is about 45 minutes west which I new had bikes, and Toy R Us. Eventually we ended up at the far away thrift store and got the kid a bike. A really good one, for 24.99. They had three different ones for him to choose from. One was only 9.99 but the tires were flat - so who knows if it needed new tubes, tires, or both. His is a mini mountain bike. It is really cute.

So, in other news: I had been searching for homes to rent for months. I show them to Joe and he says some look good but he never wants to really go see them. Well, I found on on Craig's List the other day that looked perfect. C and I went to check it out today. It is a house, but the old garage is made into an apartment - and it is rented. But really you can't tell from the house at all. Inside is three bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, and huge screened in porch leading to the massive backyard. The home is a bi-level so when you go in the door you need to choose either upstairs or down. Downstairs there are a few storage closets a small den, fireplace, and laundry area. There is a four car driveway, and if we rented it we would share half with their other tenant. There is plenty of street parking. Also you can see the school from the kitchen window and backyard. The rent is 350-500 less than every rental in that area and the landlords will add it the average utility bill if you don't want to pay monthly for everything - and they gave me two years worth or bills as proof of the cost. The house isn't huge, in fact it is way smaller than this one - but it has a yard, is five miles from Joe's work, and it is in a really good neighborhood. It is on Kamputa Street and I want to live there.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Ok, me being the nosy friend that I am tried to find the house online but couldn't. I wanna see it! Sounds great. What did Joe say about it? How much more convenient would it be on all levels huh? I hope it works out for you.

That's awesome that you found a bike. I think we may have to get G a new one this year. I was hoping to begin hitting the garage sales this weekend but the weather is undesirable- snowing thought not sticking much.

Kim said...

The cost of bikes are ridiculous aren't they? What a bargain that you got. I can't wait for yard sales to start. I love finding the kids great play clothes at them. How crazy that there was so many people at the consignment sale. Good Luck with the house.Sounds really nice and what a plus to have a great neighborhood and close to work.