Monday, March 23, 2009

So Not Funny & Then A Little Funny

So, Friday after my commissary trip ...

I put away all the cold stuff, then got a phone call. While on the phone with L I wrote on my blog, and started to clean the kitchen. Then unexpectedly Joe came home early. He just said, "we'll talk later" and headed up stairs. I knew something was wrong. The man carries a cloud with him when he is either in a bad mood or not feeling well. I swear, I could be in the farthest room from the door and I can tell something is up just from the way he walks in the house. The problem with my sixth sense is I can't tell if he is sick, upset, annoyed, or just plain in a bad mood.

Anyway - Friday he was sick. In fact, we ended up calling the paramedics to take him to the hospital. His arm and part of his face were numb, he was violently throwing up, had a raging headache, and had labored breathing. We spent the night at the ER. Some ding-a-ling nurse told him he just had a headache and should have drank water and taken a Tylenol. We pretty much wanted to give him a swift kick to the shins. In the end after loads of testing including a Spinal Tap to rule out a bleeding in the brain, the doc guessed that it might be a severe form of Migraine and put in a consult to a neurologist. Joe is fine, he had lots and lots of different meds at the hospital because nothing was working - and then was having some trippy thoughts and feeling for awhile, but by Sunday he was up and running.

As always I seem to have embarrassing moments in everyday. Friday was no different. Once I spoke with Joe and convinced him that we needed to call the paramedics I ran down stairs to grab a phone. I called our on-base emergency number and reported teh issue when it was done I pressed end button and the phone rang. It was my friend A who immediately starts telling me about a show, Jesus Christ Super Star that we both wanted to go to on Sunday. I let her go on and on, and then say, "uhhh, actually we have kind of an emergency-emergency over here, can I drop Cooper off over there?" She then says yes without hesitation and instead of hanging up I proceed to tell her to make an executive decision about the how. God knows why I felt the need to have a conversation! Okay, so then I hang up the phone and run upstairs to get Joe.

He starts telling me he needs a shirt, and socks. I respond by opening his dresser drawers and just throwing stuff at him. Not mean or anything, just tossing it his way. At this point I can hear the ambulance and become my mother in split second of flashing strobe.... I look at the floor and realize there is laundry there. So I gather it up and run downstairs. I coax the pup into the laundry room out of the way and then ... Here is the Mother part ... throw in a load of whites.

Next C says "Mom we called 911 and they are here, it works, it really works!" He then goes outside and flags them down, and holds the door open. I add fabric softener. Joe sits in a chair and becomes a little disorientated. I then check to see if there is anything in the dryer.

Then the phone rings, A calls and says she is coming over to get C. Then finally I get back to reality and start doing useful things -like giving the EMT's the right info for Joe and moving my unpacked dry groceries out of the way. Oh Lord, thank God A called back, or I might have started dusting, ironing, painting, or some other inane unimportant thing.

BTW Jesus Christ Super Star was wonderful last night. The singing was amazing and the story just perfect for the Lenten season.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Who is Joe? Do you call S. Joe? I'm sorry I wasn't sure who he was. Well I'm glad he is feeling better though. That must of been a little scary. How funny you got distracted like that.

Jamie said...

I'm SOOOO glad he is OK! How scary that must have been! Gosh, you are so like your mom...too funny. Isn't it scary the things we do like our moms???