Tuesday, March 24, 2009

That's It!

I grounded my son to his room for the day. I haven't ever done that before, and I am not entirely sure it is what your suppose to do - but who cares! I am the Mom!

This morning was busy, but not so out of the ordinary. C and I traveled to Walter Reed to pick up some prescriptions, the drive is 45-60 minutes each way, plus a wait at the pharmacy. Round trip took us about three hours. But we were home by 11:00. He was really good during the wait in the hospital, but then on the way home he started yelling about McDonald's. It was only 10:15 AM. I didn't pay much attention. Normally when C is crabby, I just respond with extra happiness. When I said, no, we are not going to stop there, he responded with "YES! _ I _ WANNNNNNTTTTT TOOOOOOOOOOO!" So I just said " Oh, I am so glad you understand that we are going to have lunch at home, it is going to be great." He rolled his eyes and went back to singing along with the radio. I find this tactic avoids a lot of back and forth.

So, then we are home & I make us lunch, put his favorite radio station on, and we make a plan for the day. The day involves two repair men coming, cleaning the kitchen, going to the ball field, and school. So I clean, C plays. The he asks if I will play Life, which I do and the repair men come. (there is more to that story too) After the repair men have left I tell C that it is time for school. And I tell you it was a battle. He just decided that he wasn't going to do the work and that was that. Far from taking his hand in mine to complete the writing, I simply told him that if he didn't write his name he would not get a green light for the day in school. (that is our reward system) He wouldn't. Okay fine, we move on. The next task is to make Y's on a line. He refused. Not only did he refuse, he stuck his tongue out, made faces, yelled, and .... well you get the idea. I think I may just be trying to justify my actions here, because seriously I was really mad. I didn't yell. I told C that if he needed to stop this behavior because it was disrespectful. He let me know that he didn't care. So I gave him a choice, complete school or get sent to your room for the day. And now he is in his room. And I feel a little guilty, but darn it, I am standing my ground. And after dinner we will be doing school, not fun stuff like we normally do.

In other news, repairmen came today. One was suppose to fix my dishwasher - as usual, he cannot and will return with a new part next week. Anyway, half way through his task he gets up and says - I'll be back, then calls a person on his cell and walks out of the house. He drives away. About 30 minutes go by, and I decide I am going to let the dog out of the laundry room - I mean who knows how long this guy will be. Well about five minutes go by and I hear a crunching noise. Come to find out, it was this headlamp thing that guy must of left in the kitchen. I scold the dog and go into the kitchen to inspect all the damage. And you know, I was actually a little peeved at the repair man. He left all of his personal stuff all over the floor. A bag, watch, beeper looking thing, tools, not to mention dishwasher parts. Originally I thought the dog got the lamp off the counter - but no, it was all there smelling like old smoke. Gross. So then I realize the dog actually ripped the back side of the light where this padding is that would rest against your forehead. It was wet and sticky, so I grab a paper towel and try to dry it. Then I hear my front door opening. It is the repair man, he didn't even knock! So the dog charges him, I throw his lamp thing on the counter and get the dog. I go into the kitchen to tell the guy about the lamp, and he starts complaining about the work, the light he can't find (Hello! Look Up!) and my dog. So I just hand him his light and walk out. Screw him, I won't buy him a new one. Sorry I made you do your job and that you are so rude that you find it hard to knock. My bad, asshole.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh those infamous maintenance men. I had some walk in too w/out knocking. Maybe he'll learn not to leave his junk laying around anymore. And with sending C to his room, I know how you feel . I feel so bad when I have to scold my kids, but sometimes you just have to.

Jamie said...

YOU need to rub off on ME...I wish I could 'hold it together' a bit more like you do!

What a jerky guy...seriously like they need to act like that? It's his job! You should complain! And what's up with you always needing maintenance on things??? Always something, huh?

I am OK said...

Hold it together - Ha, I thought I was falling apart!

You guys are the best :P)