Monday, February 16, 2009

Smashing

My sister is a fantastic author. Just thought I would put that out there. One of her most recently finished books, Smashing, is being sent to different publishers. One such publisher asked to see a full copy of the book but then rejected it. Although said publisher did offer detailed feedback and mentioned that she may be interested in reading a rewrite.



Now, for some reason or another I cannot stop thinking about this book. It was amazing. I loved it. In a nut shell, teenage angst mixed with I am Legand w/o the zombies. Actually it could be mixed with a lot of "Last Survivor" type stories, but it is so much better than anyone I have seen. Sadly, though M was pretty crushed that the publisher didn't love the book as is and suggested key changes which in her opinion change the story and characters that she loves.



So why do I feel the need to ramble about another's accomplishments and angst, because I keep dreaming of the book. I keep seeing it as a movie playing with all different changes and comparisons to her current draft. Last night I was evening dreaming I was eating popcorn while watching Dakota Fanning play Francine.

The whole popcorn thing was the nightmare part of the sequence. If you have read previous posts you may remember I have a new love affair with spray butter. Well, the affair is on the fritz. First I bought the blue kind instead of the yellow. The yellow is sooooo much better. Next I have overloaded on the popcorn. Worse, I keep getting pieces stuck in my teeth. My gums are retaliating and I am certain I might need to go to the dentist early than planned because I keep feeling like a kernel is stuck in my back tooth. No amount of floss or little flosser sticks have helps.

Nothing like making an ode to my sister's great book a story about me.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I didn't know your sister was an author. That's awesome. Well hopefully someone will publish her book, It sounds really great.

Jamie said...

Wow! How cool...if she gets published let me know so I can read it! I hate stuck popcorn kernels...the pits!

Phan said...

I read it, It's amazing!! I passed it on to my friend Jen.