Sunday, February 15, 2009

Vulgarity, the new Valentine's Day Theme


A few weeks ago, I checked my favorite movie theater's web site to see what the Monday movies were. (on Monday's all movies are 1.00 - seriously that is it) Bolt was playing which we saw randomly a few weeks back at Andrew's AFB. So the plan for the moment was not going to happen. Anyway, they advertised on their site for a Valentine's Day, Wine Tasting, Comedy, and Movie Night. The cost was 8.00. How great is that. We live in one of the most expensive places in the US and we get great deals on entertainment.


** side note, last year we were loaded. I worked full time made more than Joe and spent it like there was no tomorrow. It was like I forgot everything I learned in Minot and Vandenberg. At first, I was like WOW we can afford to by Milk on the 10th of the month. The next thing I know we are flying to Disney and staying longer than we planned, going to huge name concerts, and shopping became a past time. Fortunately, I did save some of it, but in reality, not much. So then in April I quit the full time gig and went to part time to help the company and make a little extra money through the summer. Next thing you know we have blown through savings and liquid cash, our IRA's and my 401K has TANKED and I have gone back to really knowing when we get paid, how much, and when I can and cannot buy milk.


Now with all that being said: Last year we went to a really fancy reservations required semi-formal, kind of a place. 120.00 prepayment required plus 24.00 tip. You had to pre-order. Scott ordered some fancy steak, and my meal was forgettable. In fact what we do remember is great ambiance, walking around Georgetown after, holding hands, and going to McDonald's on the way home. Yes McD's. Our food was so minuscule that we were not just a little hungry we were absolutely starving. So this year's 16.00 total price tag for an even had me pretty happy.


Onto the Vulgarity:


We got to Arlington around 6:10 and doors opened at 6:30. So we go in, we stand in line, and when the doors open there is rush to get to the good seats, of which we did get. Then, the waiters come around and ask if you want anything from the restaurant or bar. We ordered drinks and nachos - oh soooo romantic. Then the comedy started. Three comics strutted their stuff and we pretty funny. Vulgar, yes, funny, oh yeah. (although the people behind us brought their tween girls - weird) One comedian imitated a cat in heat another complained that too many bums in DC and had an entire unsympathetic hilarious bit on the political incorrectness's of such a bit. I almost choked on my dink as I inhaled a laugh and made a hiccup noise escaped my nostrils, so it must have been funny. Then the movie. The Princess Bride. OH it was so sweet and nice. Oddly people felt and extreme need to clap, hoot, and repeat famous lines. But I enjoyed the movie. And remembered something funny half way through.


When I was in the 6th grade a friend and I pretended we were making out with Fred Savage using pillows while watching the Movie. The show the Wonder's Years had premiered that winter and we begged the girls mom the rent us the movie from Video King because we were in love with the kid. Laugh- it is okay - I take solace in the fact that it was a short lived crush. I moved on to Jonathon Brandice years later - I had a poster of him with a soccer ball from the movie Ladybugs. He offed himself some years later or so I have heard. That was a pathetic crush - he looked like such a girl. Next I moved on actually boys I knew. Some of which have also looked like girls, but have not offed themselves.


Fred is still alive. Granted I am married ... but ... I might have to rekindle my crush - because he is now a producer of one of my favorite shows, Always Sunny in Philadelphia which had been referred to as "Seinfeld" on crack. Who pooped the Bed?, being my favorite episode of his. How can a guy this warped also have produced gems like Hannah Montana and Zoey 101? (granted he only worked on a few episodes, but still???!?!?!) I warn fellow followers the vulgarity of the comedians last night is nothing compared to Always Sunny. But I digress, the Princess Bride ... ahh what a great Valentine's Day.



2 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like you had a great night. Wow I can't believe you spent that much on dinner that one time. Think of all the new clothes I could buy for that price..lol. Oh and money what exactly is that. It comes so fast around here and goes jusy as fast. That's great there is so much to do around there, unlike here. That's why I'm so excited to move.

Jamie said...

How FUNNY! The Princess Bride was on TV last night and ZACH was watching it (I was ebay-ing). I had to look up online where Fred was these days! Our minds were SO thinking alike, weren't they???

Sounds like a nice Valentine's! Did you find a babysitter? Have you seen the people down the street since the phone call? Heard from Sheri lately? I need to call her! I need to call you too!