Saturday, August 29, 2009

Seller Beware!

So, I have been dabling in the Ebay rhelm of bidding, selling, and just plain watching the sales of items I'd love to have but cannot afford. One is a rug, I bought this rug at a thrift store for 25.00. I new it was expensive by the way it felt, but wasn't sure. So the other day I looked at the lable on the back more carefully, and it said LING, Pottery Barn. I was a little excited because I figured now that I know what it is I could get a matching one for the dining room. Oh, so wrong. The rug is listed on ebay for around 450.00 plus shipping! Also I found one on Craigslist that is small but the cheapest I saw was 200.00. Crazy. But enough about me, well not really.

This week I am selling a good amount of Ebay for some really insanely high prices. Some jeans are going for like 17.00 for two pairs. That is really good. Also, I placed an extra bed on craigslist. I got this email from a guy saying he would send a check and have someone come pick up the bed. Then he emails and says he is sending me more $ if I will forward the remaining to a moving company. I said no, then he emails and says he I should do this based on trust because he already sent the check. (which isn't true because he also said he was working on a tracking nuymber - uhh he'd already have it?!?!) I said, I'll see what I can do, and if I cannot help I'd send the check back. You've got to see this email exchange - it is crazy. Needless to say I think my Craigslist days might be numbered. Too many crazies out there.

When I get the funds I will let you know and see if I can help. If not I will return your check

Jamie > Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:44:28 -0700> From: adamzahr@ymail.com> Subject: PLS DO THIS FOR ME BASED ON TRUST : Ikea Queen size bed / white. CHEAP *** 200.00 - $200 (Herndon, Va)> To: scottandjamie@hotmail.com> >

Im very sorry for not getting soonet back to but i emailed you that the check as already been issued and my mailed to you first thing yesterday and i will email you the tracking # asap but what will you do to assist me when you recieve the check? cos it was issued with your information and the shipping funds as been included, besides i still have alot of other items to pickup along with the one i wanted to buy from you. So i will want you to deposit the check into your bank account and deduct $200 for your item and dont forget to deduct the extra $100 i have promised you for your running around and send the rest of the money to the shipping company billing representative via money gram or western union and you will email me the transfer details for confirmation. hope to read from you asap.... have a wonderful day....> > ---

On Thu, 8/27/09, jamie wagner wrote:> > > From: jamie wagner > > Subject: RE: Ikea Queen size bed / white. CHEAP *** 200.00 - $200 (Herndon, Va)> > To: adamzahr@ymail.com, "jamie wagner" > {> > margin:0px;padding:0px;}> > #yiv298570281 {> > font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana">scottandjamie@hotmail.com>> > Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 8:18 PM> > > > > > > > #yiv298570281 .hmmessage P> > {> > margin:0px;padding:0px;}> > #yiv298570281 {> > font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana

Hi, I am sorry, I just read this email more carefully> > and do not feel comforatble with the arrangements. I> > cannot wire anyone money. This is a straight sale with> > no strings attached. If you want the item I will> > be happy to sell it to you by cahiers check, money> > order or cash. Please let me know as soon as possible if you> > will still be purchasing the item.Currenlty the listing is> > still active. Once payment is recieved I will> > erase the listing. > > > > > > > > Jamie> > > > >

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:20:29 -0700> > > From: adamzahr@ymail.com> > > Subject: RE: Ikea Queen size bed / white. CHEAP ***> > 200.00 - $200 (Herndon, Va)> > > To: scottandjamie@hotmail.com> > > > > >

Hello I will like to tell you that i have a problem with my GMAIL ACCOUNT now i will not be able to communicate withGmail nOW, But from now i will be contact you here with this> > email am using to email you here and the payment will deliver to you tomorrow morning in which i will get back to you with the tracking number of the payment Thanks for the information once again, all i want you to do for me now is to remove the item from sales list and consider it sold to me, coz I'm going to start working on your payment and get back to you with the ups tracking number of the payment so that you can also know when to expect the payment,and I'm going to> > include the shipping> > > company fund that will be coming for the pick up of your item and some> > > other items i bought in your area along with your payment.so you are to deduct your payment for the item and extra $50 for your running around and get the remaining money wired to my shipping company so as to come for the pick up as soon as they receive the money.So please let me read from you soonest if you can take care of this..hope to read from you soon Thanks


Re: Ikea Queen size bed / white. CHEAP *** 200.00 - $200 (Herndon, Va)‏
From:
adam zahr (adamzahr15@gmail.com)
Sent:
Wed 8/26/09 3:21 AM
To: jamie wagner (scottandjamie@hotmail.com)

Hello I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you toc onsider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from craigslist to avoid disturbance from another buyer.I want you to know that i will be paying via bank certified check .I will like you to provide me with the following.information to facilitate the mailing of the check to you . 1.....Full name to write on the check2.....Full Physical address to post the check3.....City, State and Zip Code4.....Home & Cell Phone to contact you *** Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXTDAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check** Thanks i can trust you on this so we can move forward from here.Regards

In the initial email he says nothing about paying a shipper or wiring money. His spelling was bad, but I just figured he wasn't from around here. I didn't start saving my responses until I got suspicious. To the original email above I responded - this is a little strange, are you local? Then I gave him my name and address. So I was thinking when he said to keep extra money and forward some on, if I deposit this so called check into my account and his bank returns his checks, my account info will be stamped on the back. This has identity fraud all over it. Only me, right?

3 comments:

Becca said...

OMG jamie,about 3 years ago I posted our truck, 1996 chevy silvarado, with a high performance engine on craislist for 2,220. This truck was mint and all redone and T's baby, but we needed to sell it because of the way gas had spiked and it was costing like 200.00 a week for gas. Well I got a reply from a guy suposedly in the neatherland who said he woould pay 5,000 for the truck if I cashed the bank check and and gave him the 2,000 back for the shipping co that he wouold arange. OK? I ket it go far enough that I received the check in the mail from a bank in Chicargo. So I called that bank, which did not exist!!! Than called the attorney general, and the lawyer, and the whole thing turned out to be one of those scams from Africa!!! It was a mess. To me this guy seems to be on the same track, but I do not know why for such a small amount of money. I wold get him away from you as soon as possible. Just stop the emails and tell him you are telling the authorities. Long story short we sold the truck local and bought a Kia we had for 2 days than the engine blew, thats a whole other story!!!!!!

Kim said...

I love selling on ebay and buying too. I love when I get good deals,however I am real cheap too and don't win alot because I don't want to spend too much $. That guy sounds like trouble. I wouldn't deal w/ him. And craig's lost just doesn't sound good to me. I never used it before but seems like a lot of people might be out there scamming. Hope you get it resolved

Jamie said...

WOW, that sounds freaky! I'd even be freaked out he has your address! It certainly sounds like some sort of scam. His spelling IS atrocious, like he's not in this country (or an immigrant). Hmmm...be careful!