Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday, Monday

I could go for a nap. Unfortunately for me, I'm not much of a nap person. I would need to be seriously deprived of sleep in order to have any slumber. When I worked full time and C was going through his 5 AM Pop Tart phase - I could nap. But alas, today I shall suffer. LOL.

We did a lot this weekend, a ball game, apple / blackberry picking, impromptu car shopping, eating out with friends, my Zumba experience, and just having a generally good time. It was nice.

When we were out with friends S told them he had to buy me a car soon. I was really surprised at that. Then on the way home we stopped at a dealership and looked around. We found a pretty good deal on a used Volvo and a used Subaru. We checked out the prices on the Internet when we got home and found that they were priced low. We might go back later this week. S is checking out his works version of craigslist first, to see if we could get something cheaper. I don't need anything great, just something I can drive and goes from A to B a few days a week. I actually cannot drive our SUV, it is too big for me. I cannot park it at all. I even hit a car in a parking lot a few weeks ago. No damage, just a bruised ego.

The parking issue might be due to my eyes. I noticed when we were at the ball game that I couldn't read the score board all that well. It didn't prohibit me from having a good time though. The weather was absolutely perfect. C played in the kid area the entire time and didn't even want to come home. It was really fun.

On Sunday we went out to Purciville (the sticks) to go apple picking. We met up with some friends there and just picked and picked. I got a quart of blackberries, but I swear I ate three quarts before I ever got to the check out farm stand. They were so huge and so good, especially the ones in the sun - they were warm, juicy, and bursting with yumminess.

In other news to complain about: I am reading this new book, a James Patterson murder deal. I only seem to read Patterson when I have nothing else. I like him, but a lot of times after I finish the book I just think about all the crap I could cut out and shave off 200 pages or so. This one, Double Cross is better than usual although the scenic descriptions are driving me crazy. They don't flow easily with the story. The setting is in DC and Patterson makes a point of describing each detail of the killers movements marked by exact DC metro area locals. I think if I didn't know the area well it wouldn't phase me, but really I know FedEx Field is in Landover, I know there is a score board, I know 16th Street in SE isn't a good neighborhood, and I know that SW is the projects - I use to live there. I get it. (granted I got to live inside an armed gate community, but I still got my ghetto on - on occasion :P) - yeah I'm a bad ass) Oh well, I'm about 1/3 of the way into it - I am sure there is room for improvement.

Last week I read a VC Andrews book. Don't ask me why I always go back to that trash. Maybe because it is an easy read, maybe because I really liked that crap when I was a teen? Who knows? Anyway a few weeks ago C and I were at the library and I came across this book, Melody by VC Andrews (well, the writers that represent the Andrews name anyway) So I choose the book because it looks interesting and ... and this is a big and ... it isn't part of a series. Almost all VC Andrews books are, actually I don't know any that aren't. I personally don't love series. I can't put them down once I start. I want to read all of them. I was roped into the whole Twilight deal earlier this year - I met my series quota. But I digress, so I read Melody. It was pretty good. Although as in nearly all Andrew's books there is this weird vibe of incest or sexual abuse. So last week I go over to the library and get a new workout video and happen see on the shelf a book with the picture of Melody on the cover, but it isn't Melody. And in my head start yelling "Darn it - the book is in a series!" Needless to say I check out book number two. So now I am waiting for the library to have book three on hold for me and am stuck filling my time with an inelegant novel.

I know you care.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like a really great weekend you guys had. How I would love to go apple/berry picking. Cool,hope you get your new car. I haven't read in a long time but definitely still have to read the third twilight series yet.

Jamie said...

What a fun weekend! We kept wishing we had more time so we could've drove down to see you guys. I've been reading Anita Shreve, I like her books. I got a new book from the library that's called The Rest of Her Life. I think it's kinda like a Jodi Picoult book though to be honest I've only read 2 pages!