Monday, May 11, 2009

Soooo Tired

The title says it all. My butt was planted on my couch from 8:30-11:00 and 12:30-4:30. I managed a shower and school with C in between. Randomly, I also had the kids today, but they got here at nap time and were woken up by their dad when he came to get them - so my couch sitting continued. I watched a crap load of TV, started the third Twilight book, and slept. Nothing very productive. C was so tired he slept from 12:30 to just before 4:00. It has been a quiet day here.

Yesterday we drove up to New Jersey to see my grandparents, parents, sister, and extended family for Mother's Day. It was really nice. Although, I should know better than to let my mother tell me about the place we are going. Case in point, a phone conversation from last Monday / Tuesday -ish:

"Hey Ma, do you know where we are going for Mother's Day dinner?"

"Yeah, the Circle Landmark, Grandma and Grandpa love that place."

"Oh what's it like?"

"Nothing fancy. Oh so, John is getting mega hours this week at the Home Depot, he's pretty happy."

Well, shit - I missed the big clue. When ever she randomly starts yammering about the Depot, I know she cannot be taken seriously. What was I thinking? Well, I'll tell you what I was thinking...
Hmmm, those new capri pants make me look pretty skinny, they'd look nice with a pair of flats and a springy blouse I have. That will look nice for the Mother's Day dinner and be pretty comfortable in the car. (four hours to get there and four hours back in the same day). So anyway... I wear my pretty spring outfit and drive north.

When we get to gramma's C and I go into her spare room to get him changed. He was still in pajamas because we left so early. So, I step into the room and see my father's one and only suit jacket hanging on the door, accompanied by my mother's favorite pink and black three piece suit. Oh crap - I didn't bring a change of clothes.

Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house I went just to go to Walmart and buy a new dress. Really MOM! NOTHING FANCY! We had a private room for crying out loud. My father didn't wear jeans, that alone tells you something. The man wears blue jeans or shorts 363 days of the year and that takes into account one wedding and one funeral. Nothing fancy my ass. I take refuge in the fact that I am not the only this happened too. My sister was also caught off guard. She arrived at my parents house in Massachusetts at 3:30 in the morning just to find out she too was under dressed. Luckily she had a spare skirt and shirt at their house, but she was wearing tennis shoes, so over the river and through the woods she went just to go to walmart to buy shoes too. LOL - my family is so embarrassing.

Although I must hand it to my mother. Her shoes didn't match, they were hot pink with huge round toes and hot pink bows and her hair was a wild white women's fro - as always. But, she was not, I repeat, NOT, wearing a children's head band with a huge bow and polka dots like she was the last time I saw her wearing that suit. Ahhhhh, I love my mommy.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Soooo funny, love you stories, and your mom is an original, I have one too, and it sounds like they have the same hair. Just today I said to her, "How about some hair spray and a blow dryer?" She said "than I would have to wash my hair more!" LOL So the moms go!!!

Jamie said...

LOL I agree, you sure have some stories! Hope it was a great dinner you had! What a lot of hours in the car for a dinner...oh and for a special Walmart trip! Happy Mother's Day (a day late). Waiting for your news...and been praying for you often!

Kim said...

Oh so funny! Yes, your stories make me laugh too.