Friday, April 10, 2009

Knock, Knock

My son is the sweetest five year old in the world. This morning he comes down stairs all groggy and sleep-ish, he pulls a chair up to the fireplace, turns on the flames, gets a blanket and settles into the chair. He turns back to look at me and says, "oh good morning beautiful mommy." So, I say "good morning handsome C." Then he yawns an over exaggerated yawn and asks about the pirates on the news.

Side note: A lot of parents I know don't let their kids watch the news. And really I am surprised that I do. However, C takes a real interest to it and likes to follow the stories through the week. So this morning, he hadn't seen the update on the Somalian pirates, he was actually asking if anything happened overnight. Anyway, I told him that the captain tried to escape but he was not successful. C wanted to see for himself, so we watched the news for a while longer. It doesn't stress him out, like it does some children, although I watch for signs of that. Generally he is just really interested in what is going on around the world.

So, once the news grew old for him, C asked me to pause it. (the glory of DVR) I did, expecting him to ask for breakfast. Instead he said he wanted to tell jokes. Oh boy - here we go, I thought, and sure enough the knock knock jokes started. But today they were the best jokes in the world.

Knock, Knock
Whose there?
Love
Love Who?
Mommy, I love you.

Knock, Knock
Whose there?
Wonderful
Wonderful Who?
Wonderful Mommy

Knock, Knock
Whose there?
Pretty
Pretty who?
Mommy is the prettiest girl in the world!

Knock, Knock
Whose there?
Power Ranger
Power Ranger Who?
I am the blue ranger and you are the pink .... Hey he is only five.

3 comments:

Becca said...

C sounds sooo sweet!!! Don't you just want to freeze time and keep those moments forever. D will have moments where you know god really must exist in t his the innocence of a child proves it. My boys are concerend abot the pirates and the captain also. But I do censer it for them.

Jamie said...

I think its good to let the kids see the news and see what's going on in the world. No sense in sheltering them, but just being wary of what they see. There's a good kids publication that gives news, I can't think of the name of it but it looks real good. That is so sweet of C! I sooo want to see him (and you) again before our kids turn 16 (or even 13)!

Kim said...

That's cool he has an interest in the news. What cute little jokes. My boys try telling me jokes to. I pretend to laugh as they are so silly and make no sense. Gotta love kids' humor.