Thursday, April 9, 2009

Like Flies to S**T I Tell Ya!

I attract them, that is all I should say - but I have so much more to tell.

Tonight after dinner we took C and Maggs over to the playground. After awhile the park got crowded so S took the pup for a short walk and then planned on bringing her home and joining us back at the park. To set the scene, we were the only parents there and about 10 kids. One of which is annoying, I mean she, N, is okay it is just that she is vying for grown-up attention and I don't really want to give it. Anyway then along comes a lady with her child and her parents who are visiting from out of town. So I start up a conversation.

At first it seemed nice I asked the grandparents where they were visiting from and started chatting with the mother about the kids at the playground, because she too noticed that there weren't enough parents around. Then the lady starts slamming home schoolers. It started off more or less as saying that the playgrounds are becoming messy and destructive because parents are letting their teens loose. Now that part - I tend to agree with. However, it has nothing to do with homeschooling. Next she begins to bash the way people who home school complain that they can't afford private school, but she and her husband have managed their money well so the can afford the 500.00 a month price tag.

This whole time I wanted to jump in and say "wait a minute" but the women just went on and on with out taking a breath. Eventually I explained that we home school and we have a lot more reasons than just money. Errr I was mad, but at least I wasn't talking to N, the lonely twelve year old. Next the women goes into a speech about her kid's school being the best and on and on about the wonderful teachers, bus drivers, lunch ladies, and everyone else who may roam the halls over there. Now by this time S has come back and hears her talking about a great school. His ears perk up and he starts asking questions - and all I could think was "NOOOOOOOO, Make her stop!"

Then, here is the best part - which is just too ironic. The women says, well at least you think your son is going to "S" elementary. And N pops in with "oh that is where I go, there are tons of kids from base there." So now, there I was asking the 12 year old where she gets the bus, when she gets home, how many little kids there are, what is her favorite teacher and so on. And now N is beaming with an "I am important look", which turned out to be great. It got the know it all lady to look at her watch and realize it was time to leave. I realized N really is a good kid, just a little bored and truly sweet, and S pretty much missed the whole home school bash aspect so he was happy the whole time. More importantly C was thrilled - we were there over and hour and played until the last kid left. Then we went for a great family walk and let him stop at every playground for at least two turns down the slide on the way. Which was all rewarded with some ice cream when we came home.

No sweets has been going great by the way. But tonight those cones were ahhh calling!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

How annoying! Not everybody can afford those ridiculously priced private schools! We'd never be able to afford private school for our kids!

Jamie said...

Oh and I can't stand when I'm the only parent at a playground, especially if the kids are way older and rowdy among my littler ones!